Monday, September 16, 2013

Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Book: Cinder (Lunar Chronicles #1)
By: Marissa Meyer
Published: January, 3, 2012
Published by: Fiewel and Friends

Description: Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. 

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.


My Thoughts: I went into this with absolutely no expectations, and came out of it loving a new series. I'm a fan of Cinderella all the way, but not really a fan of people taking it and putting a spin on it, besides the whole musical spin, or the regular Disney version. I like what I like. That being said, I absolutely loved Cinder. They took a fairy tale that I loved and made it so much better, and turned it into a story all its own.

It began much the same way Cinderella began. There's Cinder, the "slave" of the family who's "stepmother" and "sisters" take for granted and treat like crap, only in this one, one of the sisters likes Cinder, and Cinder has someone else as a friend. Then there's the Prince who she meets in the marketplace, only in this one, he comes to her for mechanical help, after all she is the most gifted mechanic in New Beijing. She's also a cyborg, a race of people who (from what I can tell) are people who encountered a traumatic event and were then "fixed" with the use of machinery. For that reason, they're seen as less than human, and property, and often treated quite badly.

There;s also this disease that's been plaguing the entirety of the world. They've been testing out the cures on the cyborgs, and after an unfortunate series of events, Cinder finds herself in the castle as a test subject. It's then that we learn that Cinder is quite special, and we learn what special really is.

I loved this book and will definitely be reading the next one in the series, Scarlet. It was so good. Though this story was definitely taken from Cinderella, it was different enough that you didn't feel like you were reading the same old same old all over again. Oh, and for those of you who think you know how this will end in terms of happy fairy tale endings, you don't. I absolutely loved Cinder, and I can't wait for the next one. I give it 4.5 Stars.

2 comments:

Lan said...

I didn't mind the writing in this one and the story wasn't bad. In the end though there wasn't enough action for me so I had to DNF it. I'm glad you enjoyed it though. Lots of people absolutely love it!

Kim@Time2Read said...

I'm so glad you liked it. I've read kit twice,and will read it a third timer, along with reading Scarlet again, just before the 3rd one comes out next year. Can't wait!

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! I love Reading them. If you are a New follower, let me know and I will be sure to follow back!