Thursday, September 12, 2013

Random Rant Thursday: Snitches Get Stitches


In America, we have this saying “Snitches Get Stitches” which basically means if you tell on someone, you deserve to get beaten up (hence the required stitches to heal your broken body), or something like that. (Not sure if anyone else has that saying. Correct me if I’m wrong.) Now don’t get carried away. It’s not a law or anything, and legally, you aren’t allowed to beat someone up just because they told on you. That being said, it’s pretty much frowned upon in most societies to “tattletale”  on others, friend or otherwise.

Some people do it anyway, especially when police or the threat of bodily harm  for not telling comes into play. That being said, what happens when neither is involved, and the person just tells because he/she feels it’s necessary.

I HATE when people are late to things, ESPECIALLY when someone is relying on them or waiting on them. When I get a request from an author to have a book read/reviewed by a certain date, I get it done by then, or let them know if I can’t for some reason. In my mind, if I don’t do it, I cause that author to lose the ability to reach out to my small audience, which may be a difference in their ability to sell even one additional book.

I don’t like to let people down, nor do I like to take advantage of others, probably because I know what it’s like to be put in that situation, so I make sure to do what I say I will do (usually) unless I know the deadline is not a big deal.

It seems though that others don’t hold timeliness highly, a fact that really “grinds my gears” (Family Guy reference anyone?). I coordinate the scheduled staff that occupies the front desk in my office. Yesterday, a person who was required to relieve the morning staff member showed up 40 minutes late (Never mind the fact that he was supposed to be at work at 9:30, and didn’t show up until 1240) which meant I was required to relieve the morning staff member for that time. When the other guy showed up, he strolled in like he wasn’t super late for work, and for an appointment, and that wasn’t the first time he’s done something like that and requested me to pick up the slack.

By now, I’m annoyed and feeling taken advantage of. It’s why I’m here, talking to you and wondering what I should do in this situation. I’ve tried talking to him, but he doesn’t take me seriously (probably the fact that I’m like 1/3 of his size and he’s a bit of a masochist.). Though I don’t think snitches should get stitches in the literal sense, I also don’t agree with people running around telling their boss or some other authority figure something someone else did that had nothing to do with them. “Mind your Business” is something I say often. In this case though, the fact that he was late was my business and impacted the rest of my day. Does that mean I should tell our boss (who wasn’t here yesterday) Or just keep going on ignoring it? I honestly don’t know. Any ideas?

1 comments:

Lan said...

It's always a tough situation when work is involved because there are so many other considerations to take into account. Sometimes work is even worse than high school. Have you tried talking to the guy? It might be the case that he does it because he thinks you don't mind or he thinks you're easy to take advantage of so he does. If you talk to him it'll let him know that 1. you don't like what he's doing and 2. You're aware of being taken advantage of. If he doesn't respond to being spoken to in a professional manner I don't see how you can be blamed for speaking to your boss.

We don't have that saying in Australia and we don't take kindly to snitching either but in this instance his behaviour is worse than yours if you told on him. Hope this helps.

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! I love Reading them. If you are a New follower, let me know and I will be sure to follow back!