Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Review: Wings by Aprilynne Pike

Book: Wings (Wings #1)
By: Aprilynne Pike
Publisher: Harper Teen
Publication Date: May 5, 2009

Description: Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful--too beautiful for words.
Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings.
In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever.

My Thoughts: I've recently discovered this thing called the library (I know, I know. It's been around for a while. I like to buy and keep my books. But then I realized, whats the point in buying all my books. What if they're sucky. Then I have a book that sucks taking up space. I've now decided to borrow until I decide if I like the book, and then buy it if I'm in love.) They even have audiobooks, which before I would buy, but now I get all the excitement without having to spend all the money. One of many audiobooks I've borrowed is Wings by Aprilynne Pike.

Wings follows the life of Laurel, a 15 year old who is experiencing a lot for the first time. She has been home schooled for a while and is now going to high school for the first time, making friends for the first time, falling in love for the first time, first kiss, and sprouting a flower out of her back for the first time. That last first, (as you probably already know) isn't normal for humans, so what is she? I loved the ways Laurel tried to hide them and get rid of them, but nothing worked. Then she finds out she's a faerie, and faeries are really just advanced plants and all that strange stuff, and people are after her and she has to protect her house and so on. It's a pretty good book, all things considered.

All in all the story was pretty innocent. I think I was a bit too old to read it. I didn't like Laurel's age at first. Her parents let her do way too much for my taste. Laurel made some pretty dumb decisions and I began to feel frustrated. Then, when her age stuff was clarified, I was even more annoyed. It just doesn't fit for her.

In terms of the audiobook aspect, I didn't like it. The speaker's voice seemed to constantly annoy me and she just didn't seem to make it believable.

The storyline was interesting and I was genuinely interested to know the outcome (which is the reason I'm currently reading the sequel.) This probably isn't a book I'd read again, or buy for the sake of buying, but I also didn't feel like it was a waste of time either. I enjoyed the different theories it presented and the historical details it included. I'd give it 2.5 stars.

2 comments:

Lan said...

I've been wondering if I should read this one for a while now. It seems to be one that a lot of people have enjoyed. I think I would have the same thoughts as you though. Even if I am a bit of a nature freak and tend to forgive books about faeries for that reason! I love the library! Most of my books come from there until I decide I adore them.

Sherre said...

Yea that's what I think I'm going to do from now on. Just wait until I figure out I adore them and then buy them. You wouldnt believe what I spent last year on books alone (lets just say there's a reason I dont have much money left in my account).

I tend to forgive faerie books because I love the whole nature aspect about it too, but still. I want it to be at least a little bit believable.

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! I love Reading them. If you are a New follower, let me know and I will be sure to follow back!