Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Review: Marked by P.C. and Kristin Cast

Book: Marked (House of Night #1)
By: P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast
Publisher: St. Martins Press
Publication Date: May 1, 2007

Description: The House of Night series is set in a world very much like our own, except in 16-year-old Zoey Redbird's world, vampyres have always existed.  In this first book in the series, Zoey enters the House of Night, a school where, after having undergone the Change, she will train to become an adult vampire -- that is, if she makes it through the Change.  Not all of those who are chosen do.  It's tough to begin a new life, away from her parents and friends, and on top of that, Zoey finds she is no average fledgling.  She has been Marked as special by the vampyre Goddess, Nyx.  But she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers.  When she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite club, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for the courage to embrace her destiny--with a little help from her new vampyre friends.

My Thoughts: This is one of the additional audiobooks I borrowed from the library and may I say I'm glad I did. I had honestly been avoiding this book for quite some time. I thought it seemed dumb. I hate books about special schools and all that, plus my little sister has the book and that just makes me feel like a child. Finally, since I didn't have to pay for it, I got the audiobook and listened to it in the car.

I absofreakinglutely loved this book. Why oh why had I never read it. I cant even really explain how much I loved this book. As a character, Zoey Redbird was great. She seemed like me, only a vampyre of course. I could totally get her. I even liked her friends, I mean ALL of her friends. From the gay guy to the country best friends, they all added a little something to the book that just set it apart from the rest. Even the almost-ex-boyfriend and the new boyfriend made me fall deeper in love. This book was just great and I love me some Zoey Redbird. (I also love that she's Cherokee because I tend to read a lot of books where the MC is White American. Not that that's a problem or anything, but it's just nice to read something from a minority ethnicity, especially since I'm a minority and since I have a bit of Native American in me - don't ask what, I was never told, so I don't know.)

I usually focus on listening to my audiobooks when I'm on the move; driving somewhere or walking far to go to lunch, but as I got deeper into  this book, I found myself sitting on the edge of my bed listening to it over my iHome while my dog anxiously prodded me to play with him. It was too good for words and I immediately went back to the library to pick up the rest of the audiobooks in the series. (They didn't have Hunted, but I may just buy it.) This is literally one of those books that I'll buy the print version of just so I can add it to my shelves. So great. Even the speaker of the audiobook made me fall in love. Her voice was hypnotic and comforting and she really knew how to do all the character voices. It was great.

I realize I've told you nothing about this book specifically except about how great it was, but there's really no way to explain it. It's wonderful and if, like me, you've been pretty on the fence about it, I'd suggest you pick it up. You won't be sorry. I give it 5 stars.

4 comments:

Kathy Ann Coleman said...

So glad to hear that you loved Marked. The House of Night series has a very special place in my heart. It's the series that got me into YA, both as a reader and a writer. I hope that you enjoy the rest of the books just as much. :) On the plus side, coming to a series later on is cool since you get to read more books in a row if you want to. Have a great day!

Lan said...

Hehe I don't think I should say anything about this series. Suffice to say it was a DNF for me. I'm glad you enjoyed it though. I love when a book touches you so much that it becomes almost like an obsession and you just have to have more.

Sherre said...

Kathy: Yea you're right. I have em all lined up for me to read. We'll see how it goes.

Lan: Oh No!! You didnt finish the series. I guess I understand. As I'm getting into the second book, I realize Zoey is making some pretty annoying decisions. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully I like it more than you did.

Alison Can Read said...

I've been wanting to read this forever. I'm so glad you liked it. I also like that the character is Native American. You hardly ever see Native American characters in YA, or any kind of literature. In fact, Twilight is the only portrayal I can think of off the top of my head.

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! I love Reading them. If you are a New follower, let me know and I will be sure to follow back!