Monday, December 9, 2013

Review: Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

Book: Speak     
By: Laurie Halse Anderson
Published: April 1, 2001
Published By: Puffin

Description: Melinda Sordino busted an end-of-summer party by calling the cops. Now her old friends won't talk to her, and people she doesn't even know hate her from a distance. The safest place to be is alone, inside her own head. But even that's not safe. Because there's something she's trying not to think about, something about the night of the party that, if she let it in, would blow her carefully constructed disguise to smithereens. And then she would have to speak the truth. This extraordinary first novel has captured the imaginations of teenagers and adults across the country.

My Thoughts: I picked up Speak a long time ago mainly because of the many awards and glowing reviews it received. I had hoped to love it immensely. Unfortunately it fell a bit short.

We follow Melinda, a young girl ostracized by her classmates for calling the cops on an end of summer party. She spends the whole of the story depressed and attempting to block out the events that happened at the party.


I found the entire story to be extremely boring and bland. Melinda had seemingly no backbone and I just didn’t like her at all. The story was predictable, after all, what else could have happened at that party that caused her to call the cops and block the events from her own mind. I found myself reading just to find out if I was right instead of for actual enjoyment. I give Speak 2.5 stars. It wasn’t horrible, but it didn’t live up to the hype either.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! I love Reading them. If you are a New follower, let me know and I will be sure to follow back!