Friday, January 18, 2013

Review: Hidden by P.C Cast and Kristin Cast

AudioBook: Hidden
By: P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast
Published: October 16, 2012
Published By: MacMillian Audio

Description: Neferet’s true nature has been revealed to the Vampyre High Council, so Zoey and the gang might finally get some help in defending themselves and their beloved school against a gathering evil that grows stronger every day. And they’ll need it, because Neferet’s not going down without a fight. Chaos reigns at the House of Night

My Thoughts: Because this is like the billionth story in this series I wont give you all a long review about the synopsis of the book. The description pretty much tells it all. I wish they would have ended this series a while ago because they would have ended on a high note. As it is, fan appreciation of the series is slowly going downhill. I still love the storyline and will read this series to the end, but at the same time, I know it should have probably ended a while ago.

As for my feelings about this book, it was OK in terms of storyline. In terms of dialogue, it sucked. There was a message in like every chapter, and instead of allowing us to infer based upon what happened, we were pretty much told the message. Which brings me to the vocabulary words. I don't mind stories that have big words. It actually makes me feel smarter if I happen to know it, or feel like I'm learning if I actually need to pull out a dictionary. Here, they tell make one of the characters say the definition of the words and it makes me think these teenagers are pretty stupid, or that the authors think the readers are stupid. It's quite annoying.

It seems like these stories have the characters going in a never ending loop. What they learn in the last book no longer matters for the new book and they seem to have to learn it all over again.

The last thing I want to comment on is the fact that every chance Zoey gets, she "makes love" with her warrior. Sex is what she uses to feel better, to feel more connected. Is it just me or does this seem like a horrible message to send to the younger readers who read these books.

Despite my excessive qualms, I'm ridiculously invested in this series and I NEED to see how it ends. The storyline is great and the "bad guy" who's actually a female is pretty hate-able as bad guys go.

3 comments:

Sue Bursztynski said...

It's sad when a series gets downhill, but as a writer myself I know how hard it is to sell a standalone novel these days. Perhaps the authors are getting fed up with writing this series themselves and would like a break, but where where's demand... :-)

Lan said...

You know how I feel about this series! I'm not surprised that the story telling has gotten all muddled with so many books in the series. Sometimes authors just need to stop. But I'm sure there are so die hard fans out there who still love the series and will keep reading regardless.

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! I love Reading them. If you are a New follower, let me know and I will be sure to follow back!