Friday, August 30, 2013

Quickie Review: Scored by Lauren McLaughlin

Book: Scored
By: Lauren McLaughlin
Published: October 25, 2011
Published by: Random House

Description: Set in the future when teenagers are monitored via camera and their recorded actions and confessions plugged into a computer program that determines their ability to succeed. All kids given a "score" that determines their future potential. This score has the ability to get kids into colleges, grant scholarships, or destroy all hope for the above. Scored's reluctant heroine is Imani, a girl whose high score is brought down when her best friend's score plummets. Where do you draw the line between doing what feels morally right and what can mean your future? Friendship, romance, loyalty, family, human connection and human value: all are questioned in this fresh and compelling dystopian novel set in the scarily forseeable future.

My Thoughts: With a premise like this one, I expected this book to be amazing. Unfortunately, it fell short in my book. The main character Imani is not only a "snitch" as we in America like to call it, but she just annoys me to no end. I don't think I could ever be friends with her in real life. Her love interest, Diego, though somewhat interesting, still didn't draw me in. I loved the premise though, and the way people responded to it, but I didn't like the lackluster ending. I felt like it was missing something. I give it 3 stars.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! I love Reading them. If you are a New follower, let me know and I will be sure to follow back!