Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Review: Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Book: Everneath (Everneath #1)
By: Brodi Ashton
Publisher: HarperCollins / Balzer + Bray

Publication Date: January 24, 2012

Description: Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she’s returned—to her old life, her family, her friends—before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.
She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can’t find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.
Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there’s a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he’ll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.
As Nikki’s time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she’s forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole’s...

My Thoughts: Everneath was a wonderful view into the Persephone myth. It portrayed love and life and heartbreak in a very intriguing manner.

We begin the book following Nikki Beckett's century long stay  in the Everneath feeding her emotions to an Everliving named Cole. Due to her overwhelming ability to survive the Feed,  she is invited to remain in the Everneath with Cole as his queen, but due to the love she has for her boyfriend Jack (the man who initially caused the despair that made her head to the Everneath to begin with), she refuses Cole choosing to instead return to the mortal world. That choice, however, comes with a price. She can only return for 6 months, and at the conclusion of the 6 months, must return to the Everneath, and be placed in the Tunnels--a place where she will be fed off of for the rest of her life.

As you can imagine, a century long stay should mean all her friends have died, but time moves differently in the Everneath so she's only been missing for a short time. Nonetheless, she is changed, aged, and has lost many emotions. She doesn't quite fit in anymore and all her classmates seem to believe she has been gone off and hooked on drugs. She seems to be fighting a losing battle, a factor only reaffirmed when she finds out that Cole has followed her and is doing everything in his power to bring her back before she can find love again, and before she can be lost to the Tunnels for good.

I enjoyed this book. I like seeing the growth in Nikki, although she annoys me at times. It all makes sense though. Jack is the sweetest guy imaginable, but I cant tell you too much about him or It may be spoilery. Just know that I love him!!! Cole is a tortured man who I want to love, but can't. He just need to learn right from wrong in my opinion and grow up. I do love his bad boy image though. (Bad Boys are always my weakness. Shame.)

This book explains the true power of love and how it can anchor you in all times of turmoil. I would suggest it to hopeless romantics, those who love stories about myth and ancient lore, and those who love stories that describe the afterlife. 4 Stars

2 comments:

Lan said...

I read this one a few weeks ago but decided not to review it for my blog. I really liked Jack but he was the only person in the book I didn't want to smack across the head. Cole is just downright creepy and probably one of the worst characters in a book I've read in a really long time. I enjoy a good love story now and then but the reasoning for Nikki throwing away her life felt very thin to me!

Kat C @ Books and Sensibility said...

I saw this in the library and went back and forth about picking it up. I left it, but after reading this review I may go back to it.

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! I love Reading them. If you are a New follower, let me know and I will be sure to follow back!