Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Review: Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Book: Daughter of Smoke and Bone
By: Laini Taylor
Published: September 27, 2011
Published by: Little, Brown and Company

Description: Around the world, black hand prints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.


In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grows dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages—not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers—beautiful, haunted Akiva—fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?

My Thoughts: The last of my beach reads, Daughter of Smoke and Bone was Great!!! How could I live so long thinking this book would be stupid. I was so wrong!!! I don't even know how to review it correctly. This review will probably be stupid and inadequate but here goes...

We follow Karou, who is mysterious to say the least. She has blue hair and tattoos all over and  speaks a ridiculous amount of languages, and follows the orders of demon (or so he seems, he and his "employees" are also her family). She runs errands for him to get teeth. (Yea, teeth). Soon strange things start happening. Black hand prints show up on the doorways to get to her demon family all across the globe, and later, her tie to them is severed. Only Akiva, knows why, and Akiva and Karou are enemies, or are they? Who is Karou really, and why on earth does she have those tattoos on her palms?

This book was awesome. It spoke of passionate soul deep love that encompasses everything. It makes you believe everything is possible and hope for everything. It was almost Romeo and Juliet, but obviously different. I loved every second of it and NEED the next book to come out. I don't want to ruin the awesomeness of this book for you, so I wont give any other details. My only advice is to do yourself a favor, stop staring at this book and deciding to think about reading it, and pick it up and actually read it. You wont be angry that you did. It's just that great. 5 Large Stars.

3 comments:

Lan said...

I really enjoyed this one up until the mid point when it became and all out love story. You know how I feel about those :) I liked the whole thing involving the teeth though. Thought that was really well done and a great bit of story telling. I just wish there was more action and less...love...

Anonymous said...

I've been seeing a lot of good recommendations, but I heard that the romance is insta-love and takes over the whole story when it starts. I will still give it a try though!

Anonymous said...

Hmm it looks like your site ate my first comment (it was super
long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I'm thoroughly
enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog writer but I'm still new to everything. Do you have any tips and hints for first-time blog writers? I'd really
appreciate it.
Also visit my homepage ... go here

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! I love Reading them. If you are a New follower, let me know and I will be sure to follow back!