Monday, April 27, 2015

Review: The Pact by Karina Halle

Book: The Pact
By: Karina Halle
Published: December 28, 2014
Published by: Metal Blonde Books (Self Pub)

My Thoughts: I so completely love Karina Halle; I'd read her grocery list. Everything she writes is so freaking good, and despite The Pact being much different than any of the other books she's written, it was just as perfect as the others

The story: Linden and Stephanie are best friends. They've been best friends since the moment Stephanie walked into his friend James' Bar and got a job there, and began dating James. As you can imagine, Steph and James broke up and moved on with their lives and Linden, Steph, and James became best friends. Of course, the chemistry between Steph and Linden had been hot from the moment she met him, though he didn't/couldn't make a move because James snatched her up first, and with the whole "bro's before ho's" mentality, she had become off limits to Linden.

Fast forward a few years and a few drinks. Linden and Steph are at the bar, both complaining about their relationship woes, and they decide on a friendly pact. If neither of them are in a serious relationship by 30, they'll just marry each other. Stephanie thinks Linden is joking, though he's dead serious, and the two agree nonetheless. James hates the idea, of course, because he may still be in love with her. What ensues is an amazing story that begs the question, can men and women actually be "just friends"

Verdict: I loved this book so much. Stephanie and Linden are so perfect for each other, and the characters themselves are just flawed enough to be realistic. I also liked that this story was absolutely believable. Even I made a deal with a best friend that I would marry them if I reached 40 and had no prospects. Of course, she was a girl despite me being a heterosexual, and it was made as a joke, but still. The only thing that stopped me from giving this book a perfect 5 stars was James' character. Sometimes I felt he said things aloud that no person would actually admit, and it frustrated me a bit. Still, 4.5 stars and an awesome read.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! I love Reading them. If you are a New follower, let me know and I will be sure to follow back!