Monday, May 12, 2014

Review: Crewel by Gennifer Albin

Book: Crewel (Crewel #1)
By: Gennifer Albin
Published: October 16, 2012
Published by: Farrar, Straus, and Giroux

Description: Incapable. Awkward. Artless.
That’s what the other girls whisper behind her back. But sixteen-year-old Adelice Lewys has a secret: She wants to fail.

Gifted with the ability to weave time with matter, she’s exactly what the Guild is looking for, and in the world of Arras, being chosen to work the looms is everything a girl could want. It means privilege, eternal beauty, and being something other than a secretary. It also means the power to manipulate the very fabric of reality. But if controlling what people eat, where they live, and how many children they have is the price of having it all, Adelice isn’t interested.

Not that her feelings matter, because she slipped and used her hidden talent for a moment. Now she has one hour to eat her mom’s overcooked pot roast. One hour to listen to her sister’s academy gossip and laugh at her dad’s jokes. One hour to pretend everything’s okay. And one hour to escape.

Because tonight, they’ll come for her.


My Thoughts: Is it wrong that I often feel as if I dont really need to give a long review to books I dont absolutely love, or absolutely hate? I hope not, because I'm giving this one a short review.

Crewel was okay. I couldnt quite understand some of it. Like the details of the weave and how Adelice works it I couldnt quite get. Furthermore, I didnt understand the appeal of our MC. She seemed pretty boring, albeit pretty. She seemed to have like zero survival instinct and didnt know how to just shut up sometimes. Furthermore, It seemed she just came to random conclusions without me understanding how on earth she did it. There was a love triangle, and it was as annoying as you can expect. This story felt a little like Wither by Lauren DeStafano. Both had females in roles where they were mainly accessories, and both had MC's I just could never understand.

I refuse to bore you all with more review of this book I dont love. I give it 2.5 stars.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! I love Reading them. If you are a New follower, let me know and I will be sure to follow back!