Thursday, September 19, 2013

Random Rant Thursday: Engaged

OMG, OMG, OMG!!! I’m engaged everyone. The boyfriend (or rather, Fiancé *wink wink*) asked me on Saturday, September 7, and I said yes!!!! He asked my dad and mom and sis for my hand the previous Tuesday, and proposed a day earlier than he planned.

It was a kind of random event, we had just gotten back from his Grandma’s 80th Birthday Party, and after helping his family with hosting it, I was pretty exhausted, and wanted nothing more than to go back to his apartment, walk my dog, and take a nap. Of course, he had other plans. While I was out taking the dog for a walk, he pulled out the ring and hid it in a sweatshirt that he had lying across the dining room chair (I could have easily seen the box if he had put it in his pocket). When I got back in he stopped me in the hall as I was heading to the room to sleep.

He prattled on and on about how happy he was that I would show up for his grandma, and how happy he was that I get along with his entire family and that I love them and they love me. Meanwhile, I’m trying to find a tactful way of getting to the bed without pushing him completely out the way and running to the bed. He kissed me and hugged me and I think that that’s the end of the conversation, so I pull away to head to the bed to take my much wanted nap, but he stops me, and asks me to stay with him for a minute.

I’m pretty dense, so even then, I didn’t realize anything was amiss. I just assumed he was overcome with an overwhelming urge to confess all his feelings, right before I had to go to bed. I didn’t notice his nervousness, nor did I notice how fast he spoke, as if he had a lot to say and had no idea how to say it. He told me how much he likes having me around his family, and how he wanted to make me a part of it, and then he got down on one knee, and asked me to marry him.

Me, being the confused person I am, just said yes, not really realizing what exactly was going on. There were no tears, no “OMG are you serious.” Just “Yea, of course.” I said it matter-of-factly, more like “As If I would actually say no.” Part of it was me not even understanding what was going on. I was a bit in shock, a little dazed, and a lot tired. My brain wasn’t catching up to what was happening. The other part was like “Finally!”

Regardless, My brain caught up with what was happening eventually, and the events slowly but surely settled around me. William loved me and wanted to marry me. The happiness swelled up inside me and I felt the emotion coming on but I held most of it at bay (a few tears, and some sniffles escaped though…can’t help that).

A while ago I talked to him about my feeling on different types of proposals. I never liked the ones done in front of a bunch of family and friends. I felt like they were a bit cocky and threatening. What I mean is that, if for some reason, the woman wanted to say no, she would be loathe to do it in front of all your friends, so she may just say yes, only to say something about it later. In addition, I’m not a fan of having everyone I know stare at me for every little reaction. It would feel staged, and either I would give a false reaction to appease the audience or I would panic and over analyze everything that’s going on. The intimate, romantic ones filled with promises of love and awkward mistakes are the best in my opinion. He listened to that, and gave me a proposal I would remember forever.

I am absolutely ecstatic and have already started my planning, though I’m a bit overwhelmed. Still, I can’t wait to move forward with it all! Oh, and if you want to see a pic of the ring, feel free to look:
Isn't it pretty?

Whats new with all of you? I'd like a few updates!

7 comments:

Lan said...

OMG! Congratulations! I'm so happy for you. It sounds like the perfect intimate proposal and your ring is just gorgeous. You must keep us updated with the wedding plans.

Not much news around these parts. At least nothing that exciting!

Sue Bursztynski said...

Congratulations, Sherre! Just think how nervous he must have been waiting for you to come back from the walk! You know, you should be glad it was private. Once, I was waiting for a tram home from the theatre when a horse-drawn open carriage went past. In it, a young man was kneeling to his girlfriend, with the engagement ring box in hand.

We all yelled,"Congratulations!" and cheered. Well, it WAS in public...;-)

Unknown said...

Congratulations Sherre. I'm excited for you both. Really, I did not see it ending any other way.

Congratulations, again dear!

Alysia said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so thrilled for you. I just have to mention this on my Sunday Best meme. Congrats!!

Sherre said...

Thanks everyone!!

Lan: I'll be sure to do so!

Sue: OMG, I would have been extremely red faced and embarrassed. Glad he didnt do something like that.

Abimbola: Glad you had faith in us. I'm so happy!

Alysia: Feel Free. I'll stop by and check it out.

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! I love Reading them. If you are a New follower, let me know and I will be sure to follow back!