Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Review: Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews

Book: Magic Bites (Kate Daniels #1)
By: Ilona Andrews
Published: March 27, 2008
Published By: Ace

Description: When the magic is up, rogue mages cast their spells and monsters appear, while guns refuse to fire and cars fail to start. But then technology returns, and the magic recedes as unpredictably as it arose, leaving all kinds of paranormal problems in its wake.


Kate Daniels is a down-on-her-luck mercenary who makes her living cleaning up these magical problems. But when Kate's guardian is murdered, her quest for justice draws her into a power struggle between two strong factions within Atlanta's magic circles.

The Masters of the Dead, necromancers who can control vampires, and the Pack, a paramilitary clan of shapechangers, blame each other for a series of bizarre killings—and the death of Kate's guardian may be part of the same mystery. Pressured by both sides to find the killer, Kate realizes she's way out of her league—but she wouldn't have it any other way…
My Thoughts: I'll admit, when Lan (The Write Obsession) recommended this book as one of her favorites and I decided to check it out, I wasn't convinced. It just doesn't have all the stuff I like in most books. I like a bit of love (but definitely not insta-love) and I really don't like monster books which is what I thought this was. When I picked the book up from the library, there was not 1 copy without excessive creases and folds, which told me it was a much read book. That helped ease my issues. But then, when I got a comment from Lani Wendt Young putting the success of our friendship on my acceptance or rejection of this book, I was thoroughly frightened. Now all I have to say is, I am SO GLAD I decided to actually read this book. It was freaking amazing!!!

I LOVED it!!!! Magic Bites follows Kate Daniels, a snarky smart mouthed heroine who makes money cleaning up magical mishaps. She is pretty much a "lone wolf" preferring to do her own thing. In the beginning, we find out that her guardian has been killed and we spend the book seeking the murderer.

At times, I was a bit lost. There were people introduced, and the second time I saw them I couldn't remember their significance, and there were so many supernaturals that I sometimes couldn't keep up. That's definitely my fault though and not the book's. My brain was still on YA pace because of the read-a-thon (I finished one book and went right to picking up another book without a stop in between.) and I couldn't catch up initially. Once I did though, it was smooth sailing. I have no idea how to appropriately review this book so I wont do too much. I loved Kate because she didn't take crap from anyone and always did what she thought was best (even if it got her into trouble.) Kate seemed to internalize her issues, but that made her who she was.

It sucked that she messed things up with one of the guys in the book, but I think it was for the best. He really would never have been able to keep up with her lifestyle. As for Curran......I see something forming...and I love it. I love him already. I feel about him the way I do about Eric from True Blood. He's so bad sometimes, but he's in charge so he has to be, and he's so sweet at the same time. I love him!

I will DEFINITELY be continuing this series!!! 5 Stars.

4 comments:

Lani Wendt Young said...

YAAAY! we can stil be friends! LOL so glad you tried it and you loved it. (whew, huge sigh of relief) I know what you mean about being a little bewildered/lost at times because i felt that way. I found that even book one, we kind of get thrown into the action and the fantasy world of Kate etc and expected to just hurry up and catch on to everything. Im thrilled ou get an Eric vibe from Curran...100% agree. Curran is bad...but intriguing and delicious...LOL

Lan said...

Am so glad you liked it! I was lost from the very first sentence but it starts to all make sense wen you get into the book. That's one of the things I liked most about this series. It just drops you right in and doesn't give you any explanation and you just have to figure it out. Trust me if you liked Curran in this one, by book 3 you will forget all other male leads!

Sophia Rose said...

That's funny about your friend pushing you toward this one. I have friends like that too.

I look forward to reading this one because I've heard good things about it too.

Nice review!

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! I love Reading them. If you are a New follower, let me know and I will be sure to follow back!