- There's the one who thinks they're better than the rest and wants everyone to know they just bought a new car or has a special job with the president or whatever.
- There's the one who everyone treats like they aren't a grown adult. "Come here dear and let me take care of that for you."
- The one who never come's to dinner because their wife/husband doesn't like the family. "Oh sorry everyone I cant make it. Vivian has a cold and we think it may be a rare disease we picked up from hiking last week so we're just not going to be able to make it" (how on earth does one person get that many illnesses)
- There's the cousin that's a bit promiscuous. Talks the whole night about her date and how obsessed some guy is with her
- The one who brings a different date to dinner each year and has to call in advance so the family doesn't call the date the wrong name.
- The one that didn't do what the family believe's is a good job or exactly what they thought was the right path for them. "If only you went to college, you wouldn't be so exhausted after work dear."
- There's the relative that everyone puts their faith in to be a perfect person. They make everyone else jealous and people never really call and talk to them when it isn't a holiday or birthday or something.
- There's the talker, who lies about everything they say but just like to hear themselves talk and nobody pays attention but instead just stares at them the whole time. "I swear, I literally jumped 30 feet out of a tree and landed on my feet and shot the deer at the same time! Then I carried it back to the car 20 miles away with my bare hands!" Er, okay?
- There's the super-religious person who's spending time trying to convert everyone else at the table.
- The elder who wants to force everyone to listen to their history and pay respect
- The one who calls all the grandchildren by the wrong name (over and over and over again!)
- The one who reminds you of the younger years when you were "this big and used to eat poop and pull out your own hair and stick your tongue at everyone all the time"
- The over-entitled person who thinks everyone should wait on them hand and foot.
- The one who just wants everyone to get along and stop fighting. "Please guys! Lets just forget that and eat. How about we all hug and be friends again!" (okay I'll admit this is me sometimes)
- The one who shows up sober and leaves drunk and in the meantime insults everyone else.
- The one who constantly has to be reminded that "This is not the time to talk about that!!"
- The one who has too many kids. The kids run all over the place and in between legs flipping and rolling underneath the table. The mom looks around like its not her kids. Ha!
That's all I can think of at the moment. The one thing I notice, is that to each person, they are always the "good" person and everyone else is always messing things up. Family doesn't mean blaming others all the time, it means coming together and supporting each other no matter how annoyed you are. Its understanding that although they may fit one of these qualifications, everyone has good qualities that make them so darn lovable!!!
Which family member's did I forget?